Cite this article

NIDA. (1996, January 1). Weekly Reader - Parent Supplement. Retrieved from

press ctrl+c to copy


Dive into these ResourcesGraphics by Vilma Ortiz-Dillon

Contact the Federal organizations listed below for free and confidential information, or visit the consumer information section on the HHS homepage,

Drug and Alcohol Information

Drug and Alcohol Information

  • National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information
    Ask for Keeping Youth Drug-Free and a free catalogue.
    1-800-487-4889 (TDD)
  • Information and Treatment Referral Line
    1-800-66-AYUDA (Spanish)

Smoking Prevention and Cessation

Smoking Prevention and Cessation


  • For information on the importance of fruits and vegetables in the diet call CIS 1-800-422-6237
    Ask for Time to Take 5.
  • To get the new Dietary Guidelines for Americans, send your name, address, and $.50 to
    Consumer Information Center
    Department 378-C
    Pueblo, CO 81009
    Or download from the Internet at

Physical Activity

Physical Activity
  • President's Council on Physical Fitness and Sports
    Ask for 10 Tips to Heafthy Eadng and Physical Activity for You.
    Send a self-addressed business-sized stamped envelope to
    10 Tips for You
    P.O. Box 1144
    Rockville, MD 20854

Children's Mental Health

Children's Mental Health
  • National Mental Health Services Knowledge Exchange Network (for materials and referrals)
    301-443-9006 (TTY)
  • National Institute on Mental Health (for materials)

Domestic Violence

Domestic Violence
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
    1-800-787-3224 (TDD)


  • To get materials for parents and children, call or write
    The National Crime Prevention Council
    1700 K Street NW
    Washington, DC 20006


AIDS/HIV - Crime
  • CDC National AIDS Hotline
    1-800-342-AIDS (English)
    1-800-344-7432 (Spanish)
    1-800-243-7889 (TDD)

Other Health Information

Other Health Information

Summer Activities for Boys and Girls

Trying to find sports, camps, or other activities for your child this summer? Ask other parents, call your child's school or your place of worship, or look in your telephone directory. Some more resource ideas follow.

  • Department of Parks and Recreation (Blue Pages)
  • Recreation Centers (Yellow Pages)
  • Youth Organizations and Centers (Yellow Pages)
  • Boys Clubs and Girls Clubs
  • Camp Fire Girls and Camp Fire Boys
  • Boy Scouts of America
  • Girl Scouts of the U.S.A.
  • Girls Incorporated
  • 4-H at your County Extension Office (Blue or White Pages)
  • YWCA - Young Women's Christian Association
  • YMCA - Young Men's Christian Association